Wednesday, June 28, 2006

OSx86 10.4.7 review

I do not condone piracy. This review is purely for educational purposes.

Ok, this is my first review, so be soft on me. First of all I would like to thank the
OSx86 project guys, specially Maxxuss, JaS, and many other people who have dedicated their time and effort to the project.

A little intro of my Mac experience:
I've always loved Macs, and I was introduced to them at an early age in school with the Mac 128K. I've always loved the way Macs have everything integrated. Currently, at my school, we use eMacs, which also have a wonderful design, and are all-in-one. I've always wanted to buy one, but even the Mac Mini was expensive to me! Then OSx86 came. OSx86 has been like a free trial of the real thing.


Installation:
On November 2005, I started my adventure into OSx86. For those who don't know what OSx86 is, it is basically a project that will help you install Apple's Mac OS X 10.4 on your PC. Now, you should only do this if you are a developer.

There are many ways to install OS X on a PC. You could use the early hard disk images of 10.4.1, or use the more current DVDs. I tried using DVDs, but they always yielded in nothing. Partition errors, boot errors, etc... where the only things the DVDs gave me. Then in the demons place(do some research to know where this is) somebody posted a 10.4.6 hard disk image, similar to the 10.4.1 one. Using the same instructions as if I has the 10.4.1 image, I successfully installed OS X on my HP D220. I later upgraded to 10.4.7 with JaS's installer.


Hacked OS X issues:
My OS X surely does look like a real Mac, but it isn't like if I had a real one. First of all, you have to wait for updates be patched by the OSx86 hackers, because if not, the official ones, will ruin your system. But even the hacked updates are not really updates, because they skip the updated kernel and other things for the update to be safe.
Also, with my PC configuration, I miss on some important graphic technologies, like Core Image and Quartz Extreme.

Out of the box

- Apple's Out of the box ad

Now, the ad is quite true for real Macs, but not for a Hackintosh(a PC with OSx86 installed). On a Hackintosh, the first thing you have to do is pray that everything worked out-of-the-box. If not, Google, the forum and the wiki of OSx86project.org, will be your best friend for the days to come. You have to figure which hacks or drivers you have to use to get your hardware fully working. Sometimes they just don't work.

OS X as a main system
Now, you have to pray that you have an Intel processor with SSE3 if you want to use OS X. If not you're in for patches. If you have an AMD processor, you will have to use patches, and if you're on dual core, one of the cores may not work. If you have an SSE2 Intel processor, like me, you have to use patches, but they work. I'm using OS X as a main system, and have experienced browser crashes, but apart from that, it is quite a reliable system. Only a few times I've had to boot into Windows to get software that 1) Isn't universal and Rosetta emulates as slow as a turtle, or 2) Windows-only software.



OS X only features
Have you heard about Front Row? It does work, but guess what? Yes, patches. You have to have a USB mouse, which will fake as an IR receiver,
to enable Front Row. For the record, I could never get Front Row to work. iLife and iWork do work on a Hackintosh for what I've heard, but I could never get them to install, because my OS X partition was limited to 6 GB.


Conclusion
OSx86 does run well for most basic apps, but in no way is it a replacement for a real Mac. But what it does do is get you encouraged to buy a real Mac(At least I am). I am now saving up for a Intel Mac Mini. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home